INVERLEITH CONSERVATION AREA
The Inverleith Conservation Area is located to the north of the New Town Conservation Area, 1.5 kilometres north of the city centre and covers an area of 232 hectares
Join the Inverleith Society
The annual membership fee is only £10.00 per household (£5.00 for single senior citizens) or £120 for Life Membership.
The name Inverleith may come from the British or Gaelic inver and leith, the lower basin of or the mouth of Leith
Although some documents refer to ‘Inner Leith’. Inverleith is mentioned in 1128 in David’s charter founding Holyroodhouse, and associates the name with the place that was to become North Leith. However, the estate charters in 1315-21 place the centre of the medieval Inverleith estate close to the site of the present Inverleith House. The Inverleith estate was acquired by the Rocheid family in 1665, and the present Inverleith House was built in 1774 for James Rocheid. The farm which occupied much of the estate was reorganised into North and South Inverleith Mains during 18th century improvements. The Warriston estate, recorded from 1467 onwards, was divided into East and West Warriston estates in the late 18th century. East Warriston House, built in 1818, was later converted into Warriston Crematorium. West Warriston House of 1784 was located to the east of Inverleith Row and cleared for housing in Warriston Grove and Eildon Terrace in 1966. A single gatepier from the house remains on the east side of Inverleith Row, opposite the entrance to the Botanic Garden.
The Royal Botanic Garden began as a Physic Garden on a small site near Holyrood Palace in 1670. By 1676 it occupied an area where the north-east corner of Waverley Station now stands and was known as the Town Garden. The Royal Botanic Garden received a Royal warrant as early as 1699, and in 1763 moved again to Leith Walk in the grounds of what was the old Trinity Hospital.
Inverleith Park consists of neatly maintained, mostly flat open grass parkland with a strong framework of mature trees on its perimeter and along its striking avenues. The space is well defined by hedging, perimeter iron railings and grand gated entrances
The park also contains interesting built features including a memorial fountain (1900) in the form of a granite obelisk and formal north and east gates of 1891 by Sydney Mitchell.
Inverleith House and East Warriston House
Two of the original estate houses of the area, Inverleith House and East Warriston House, survive in new uses and both remain the focus of their respective grounds. Inverleith House, now offices, gallery and café, dominates the central mound in the Royal Botanic Garden. The House is a severe mansion of three storeys and basement with a broad elliptical bow staircase and pedimented entrance porch
Below is an archive of articles from the society
Construction has started of an exciting new visitor facility at the West Gate of the Royal Botanic...
The derelict tennis courts on Warriston Recreation Ground are owned by the City of Edinburgh...
A skateboard facility for Inverleith Park was first mooted by Edinburgh Council in 2004. by...
Get In Touch
Keeping Inverleith beautiful
The society aims to encourage the preservation and improvement of the Inverleith district of Edinburgh. We communicate with our members and others with an interest in the conservation and amenity of Inverleith though our website, newsposts and Facebook.